Friday, July 1, 2011

“Life Imitates Art…"

I’ve spent the last week sitting on Galveston’s beautiful beach aggressively touching up Guardians of the Cross.  As such, I have been reading (and rereading) the Prologue which details Clark’s drowning when he was three years old. 

Having worked for several years in a pediatric intensive care unit on Galveston Island, I realize there are many drowning victims during the summer.  I also know (have witnessed) the overwhelming grief and unimaginable guilt the victim’s family suffers.  While drownings occur, I have NEVER witnessed one in all my years at the Galveston/Bolivar beaches.  At least…not until this week.

On one of my days at the beach, I was lying back, enjoying the sunny day, sea breeze, and family time when - strangely - an ambulance, police car, and lifeguard truck zoomed past our beach site.  I watched the emergency vehicles until they come to a stop about a quarter of a mile away from where my family was body surfing and inner tube floating through turbulent waves. 

I decided there was nothing I could offer to the situation since the professionals were on the scene.  Instead, I prayed.  I prayed the person (man, woman, or child) would survive.  I prayed for speed and endurance for the wonderful people rushing to get this victim to the hospital.  I prayed for wisdom and compassion for the doctors and nurses who would eventually be the person’s caretakers.  Most of all, I prayed for mercy and support for the family in their time of need. 

Minutes later, the ambulance sped back past our little piece of the beach.  Seconds later, a life-flight helicopter flew overhead and landed near the beach in order to take the person to the nearest emergency room as quickly as possible.

Again, I had just been editing a scene eerily similar to the one I was suddenly witnessing.  It was surreal.  It was terrifying.

I may never know the outcome of this incident, but I do know I will forever contend that having the ability to heal would be one of the most useful powers of all time.  I would have given ANYTHING to have been able to intervene and save this person with nothing more than the merging of our souls. 


Important Announcement:
The Book Giveaway For Warriors Of The Cross (The Warriors, #1) was a success.  There were 1,326 people who entered and five winners (Jenny, Karin, DM, Sandra, and Ricia) selected.

Here are my new Goodreads fans:  Scott (an author), Jessica, Christy (2), Kim, Tracey, and Dabs.  I would also like to thank my Goodreads friends for their five (*****) star reviews: Dabs, Christy (2), Roseycortes, and Chasitylynn....and my Goodreads friends for their four (****) star ratings: Sarah, Ronna, Anna, Shari, Kyra Gates (an author), Bryn, Shelley, Pam, Unknown, Jellyn, Sarah, Miss Reviewer, and Shever.

Finally, I want to thank Tamara Blodgett for interviewing me and supporting me.  I know I keep gushing about 'virtual' angels.  She definitely qualifies as one.  Take a few minutes to visit her site, read my interview, and get to know her by participating in the Death Whispers Virtual Book Tour Giveaway.  Tamara is kind and deserves great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment