Friday, July 22, 2011

YA Indie Carnival - Week Two


Welcome back to week two of the YA Indie Carnival. The topic on the minds of the bloggers/authors sponsoring this adventure is: Why do we read/write Indie? The reason for pursuing the ultimate in DIY projects is personal for each of us. Take a few minutes to visit our sites (listed below) and understand why we are following this unique path.

As for me, I’d never even heard of Indie publishing before this year. I - like most people -thought the only path for authors was that of traditional publishing. With that assumption, I sent Warriors of the Cross to a hand full of literary agents. Each query got declined quickly.  It was as if the process were automated. The most disappointing part of the impersonal rejection was the lack of guidance. There were no recommendations for improving the book or suggestions for increasing the book's marketability. Left on my own, I had to trust my instinct.

While writing Warriors of the Cross, I happened upon Createspace. With my discovery, I realized there may be other options. A few months later, I bought Switched by Amanda Hocking and found it was published through Smashwords. I instantly knew there were other options.

Going ‘down the Indie Author rabbit hole’, I received a warm welcome from passionate readers, talented graphic designers, selfless reviewers, and fellow authors. It was the world I craved. These people became the mentors I’d been in search of.

After being unconditionally accepted, I made an Indie commitment to give back more than I took. With my first book, I knew I would need a lot (feedback/word-of-mouth/patience).  I, balancing that out, listed Warriors of the Cross for FREE for most of June/July. During that time, 30,000+ books were downloaded and the overall ratings on both Amazon and Goodreads continues to average 4 stars (****).

The bottom line is that with Indie, I have met goals that I never thought possible. Interesting enough, my most important successes have almost nothing to do with the number of books downloaded or the book's ratings. Instead, they reside within the wonderful people I have met ‘virtually’...the symbols of this movement. Perfect examples of these representatives include the authors/bloggers who are hosting this brilliant YA Indie Carnival.

NEXT, take a ride with: 
 Dani Snell - Book Blogger
Pattie Larsen - Author
Courtney Cole - Author
Wren Emerson - Author
Nicole Williams - Author
Fisher Amelie - Author
P. J. Hoover - Author
Laura Elliott - Author
Amy Jones Young - Author
Rachel Coles (Rachel Coles. Geek. Mom. Book Reviews.) - Author and Book Blogger
Tiffany King - Author
Cyndi Tefft - Author
T. R. Graves - Author (end up back here with me)

8 comments:

  1. I agree 100%--I love this community and the support in it--no walls, no gatekeepers--just a bunch of creators wanting to make it and doing what they can to help each other get there. Isn't this the smarter way to do it? I'm not a robot and neither are you. GO INDIE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the community, and wow on the number of books that were downloaded! That is huge and so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your post is AWESOME! So glad you went Indie:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said about success has almost nothing to do with the number of books downloaded or the book's ratings, but that our stories are out in the world being read and enjoyed. That is gold. Great post Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the success of your book. I popped over to Goodreads and skimmed through some of the comments. Glowing, I say! :)

    I am curious why you decided to make it free on Amazon, but kept it at 99 cents at Smashwords.

    I can't even imagine 30,000 downloads. Maybe I should consider going the freebie route for a bit. :)

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words and support and for letting me take part in this endeavor.

    Cyndi, the FREE route has a mind of its own when it comes to Amazon. It takes a long time to get approved to have your book on their site for free and even longer for them to change it back. I know the book has been read by people who never would have 'purchased' a book by a new author. I hope most of them keep coming back for the rest of the series. I won't know until later if my decision to go FREE was the right one. I will keep everyone posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the artwork for your book! I agree with your affection for the indie community. Bloggers, reviewers, readers, authors.... what a beautiful, supportive group of people. I know I have come to rely on my indie friends in my quest and wouldn't trade my experiences for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Amy. Claudia @ http://phatpuppyart.com/ is one of the first people I met in the Indie world. She is an amazing person, creates beautiful covers, and makes changes almost instantaneously.

    ReplyDelete