Thursday, August 18, 2011

YA Indie Carnival - Week Six


It is hard to believe we have reached week six of the YA Indie Carnival.  I’ve really enjoyed getting to know my fellow authors and their followers better.  They are an amazing group of people.  This week’s topic of discussion is ‘How do you get inspiration for the stories you write/read? 

I've said numerous times that my patients and their families’ grief were the inspiration for Allison La Crosse’s powers.  I still contend that healing the dying with nothing more than a touch (and a little soul sharing) would be an awesome ability. 

The inspiration for the Warriors of the Cross characters came straight from life.  It occurred to me the most believable characters would be ones who embodied the characteristics of people who I’ve known and cared about.  At the same time, I thought it would be a good opportunity for my children to remember their Nana and Papaw through lovable cameo characters, ones who exhibited their exact mannerisms.  I worried that pictures (no matter how great) would lead to one-dimensional and visual only memories.  There would be no sustenance to help my children to know that their grandparents loved and were loved.  By incorporating Nana (Lita - Brody’s mom) and Papaw (Daddy - Allie’s dad) into the story, I suddenly had an ingenious path whereby these wonderful people could be embedded into my children’s hearts even though they barely knew them. 

The inspiration for the storyline, its morals, ethics, and love of God was created from a need to communicate with my teen aged daughter without making her feel like I was preaching.  I wanted to create strong and honorable role-models who could lead by example.  I realized that if the story was told the right way, my daughter (or any reader) would walk away knowing and understanding the story’s messages without feeling like she (they) had suffered through an excruciating lecture.  This technique has been successfully utilized by some talented authors.  With The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum  taught us ‘there’s no place like home’.  With Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl convinced us that ‘unspoiled, honest, and trustworthy people’s dreams can come true’.  Now, I’m certainly not insinuating Warriors of the Cross is for children.  In fact, my seven year old son will have to be MUCH older before reading the series.  I’m simply suggesting that some of the most memorable books of all time have had powerful messages.  By design, Warriors of the Cross has a timeless conscience when it comes to love, tolerance, and compassion.

Join me in visiting my fellow author's/blogger's sites and find out what inspires them to write/read books.  Also, CONGRATULATIONS, Rachel Coles, on having your story, Orphans of Lethe, included in the What Fears Become horror anthology!

NEXT, take a ride (by clicking their name) with:

Dani Snell - Book Blogger
Pattie Larsen - Author
Courtney Cole - Author
Wren Emerson - Author
Nicole Williams - Author
Fisher Amelie - Author
P. J. Hoover - Author
Laura Elliott - Author
Amy Jones Young - Author
Rachel Coles - Author and Book Blogger
Tiffany King - Author
Cyndi Tefft - Author
Alicia McCalla - Author  
Heather Cashman - Author
T. R. Graves - Author

(see previous blogs for the authors’ book lists)

8 comments:

  1. Stories are definitely the most powerful when pieces of the author's life, or the lives of someone they know are a part of the story. tell what you know. I love that your novels helped you get closer to your daughter! And thanks for the mention!

    Rachel Coles http://www.rachelcoles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of characters as memory holders--my MG novel Cat City does the same, only with beloved pets I've lost over the years. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *waves* I LOVE Frank L. Baum too:) MUCH inspiration from his stories. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memorial to your loved ones. I was really touched by the idea that two of your characters embodied people you loved and wanted your children to remember and love. What a magical way to preserve family bonds. *joyful tears streaming down face* :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read the second book.You're awesome.I'm from Romania and I have a blog about books and I made a post with the plot of this book and my followers asked if the book will be published in our country too...and I'm wondering if you are interest in publish it in my country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alessa, Thanks for you kind words and your support.

    I would love my book to be instantly accessible to all. As such, I've asked that Warriors of the Cross be distributed worldwide. As an Indie author, I'm dependent on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords to make them available whenever and wherever possible. Even then, it will be in English. As my publishing life evolves, I'll keep you updated about additional distribution announcements.

    By the way, I visited your site, and it is really awesome! You are a great advocate for the paranormal readers of Romania and authors everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you draw inspiration from the people who've touched your life, and what a special thing to model two of your characters after your parents. That's a wonderful way to honor their memory and to share them with your children.

    I also love your realization that this YA paranormal genre, if done right, is the perfect avenue to communicate values that are important to you.

    It sounds as though The Warriors Series is an intensely personal one to you and I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All, thanks for visiting and your kind words. I'm completely sincere when I say this carnival is a wonderful experience. The company couldn't be better.

    ReplyDelete