Friday, February 24, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Name That Tune

This week, the sponsors of the YA Indie Carnival are asking you to 'Name That Tune' while we share artists/songs that keep us writing.  The passion these artists put to paper, the emotions they couple with their music, and the proof artists can be prosperous are perfect companions for writers striving to achieve success in a slightly different way.  Because my choices are so eclectic, I thought it may be better to tell you who my favorite artists are (rather than make you guess) and the relevance of the songs they sing. 
There are several recording artists mentioned throughout The Warrior Series. This topic makes them eligible for a more formal shout out. In addition to the singers who were embedded within the series, I've included several songs emotionally pertinent to the story.

I love the way these posts always make me look at things in a new light. This one is no exception.  With it, I've finally realized the songs most inspirational to me often have religious undertones (while not being truly Christian...similar to Warriors of the Cross & Guardians of the Cross).


  • Adele
    • Really! Who's not inspired by someone with such a wonderfully beautiful voice?  The passion she pours into her work is what I find the most motivating.
  • Kings of Leon
    • When I heard this was a group of brothers/cousins raised by a Pentecostal preacher, I was hooked. The religious traces mixed with the frank profanity and unique and raw talent draws me in every time.
  • Diane Birch
    • Diane's voice is phenomenal, and she is gorgeous. Forgiveness gives me chills.
  • Macy Gray
    • I Try will forever be one of my favorite songs because it is so not perfect that it is perfect.
  • Sheryl Crow
    • After hearing Redemption Day, I became a fan of Sheryl Crow's. This song is amazing!
  • Sarah Reeves
  • Trading Voices
  • Alison Krauss
    • This song reminds me of Sunday morning baptisms in Louisiana rivers and streams. It also conjures up images of The Sisters from The Warrior Series.
  • Alanis Morissette
    • This hidden track starts off with such hope and ends with so much despair that you feel like you've been on an emotional roller coaster once it's over.
  • Ememin
    • Emenim puts it all out there. Nothing is off limits. There is no denying his talent if you've ever heard Lose Yourself.
  • I'll Fly Away
    • This choice is more about the song than the singer.  I heard I'll Fly Away week after week, sitting next to my grandmother in our pew at church. It's also the song she sang - folksy like this version - at my father's funeral...the funeral where she buried the last of her three children. By that time, she'd told me numerous times that she never wanted to outlive any of her children. When her last one died, it almost killed her.  This song always makes me cry. 
1.Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog 8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Dani Snell's Refracted Light Reviews 12.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey
13.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping 14.Kimberly Kinrade, Bits of You & Pieces of Me, Forbidden Mind
15.Madeline Smoot, Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls16.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler
17.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter18.TG Ayer
19.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy20.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
21.Roots in Myth, PJ Hoover22.Courtney Cole Writes

4 comments:

  1. I also love Redemption Day! Here's a great live version of that song:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omxLrmnRMbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything Sheryl Crow and have seen her in concert numerous times. You are right about the video. It's amazing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous playlist! There are a couple of artists here that I hadn't heard so I went and listened to them on Youtube and I was so blown away that I've just bought two of the albums! Diane Birch and Alison Krause. What beautiful voices! You have wonderful taste in music Tee!!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some great ones. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete