Friday, November 2, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - Work In Progress

This week, the YA Indie Carnival sponsors are sharing their current work in progress. This is an extremely timely topic for me because I'm taking on the NaNoWriMo challenge. I plan to write 50,000 words in November.

In order to keep myself excited about the project, I invested in a book cover (last week), formulated a story (last weekend), and began the story (yesterday). I'll be sharing all of that with you and asking for forgiveness because this is a draft so rough I would normally not share. I should also mention that this particular book will not be young adult. Instead, it will be a very dark and sexy mainstream fiction. I decided that if I was going to go out of my comfort zone (writing non-stop without editing), I would go all out. The verdict is still out, but you can take a few minutes reading the summary/excerpt, ogling the cover (courtesy of Phatpuppy Art), and letting me know your thoughts.


Introducing... Grave Bound (Secrets, #1)

SUMMARY:
For her entire life, eighteen-year-old Emily Riddles swore by her community's code of secrecy. It may have been simple, keep it in the family, but it wasn't always easy to follow. The one time she broke the rules with Levi, her summer fling and outsider boyfriend, she saw firsthand what happened to those who forgot the code. She may never know how Owen, her father, found out about her and Levi's late-night meetings or the details of their private conversations, but she would forever remember what happened when he did. Owen tied Levi to a tree and whipped him to death while making her watch. From that day forward, she knew the ramifications of sharing anything with anyone about The Community. She also knew she'd never make that mistake again.

Levi's murder did little to quench her father's fury. He hatefully taunted Emily by reminding her that he did not kill Levi... that she and her loose tongue had cost him his life. When Emily did nothing, said nothing, and conformed to Owen's demands just as she'd been taught her whole life to do, he knew he had his bluff in. He could do anything to her and in front of her. His secrets would forever be safe.

Owen had been right until Emily's world turned upside down. The commune was raided, and every woman and child was swooped away and sent to safe houses. Regardless of their label, Emily never felt safe. Owen and his gang of hellions had been arrested, and she would be blamed for everything. In retaliation, her father would beat her to deathmost likely on the same tree Levi died—unless she could win back his trust.

Based on the special interest the young DA, Tope Bryson, paid her during interviews, Emily suspected the raid was as much about finding a star witness as it was about locating evidence. No matter how she felt about the compassion shown to her by Tope, Levi's death, and her fear that her own father wanted to end her life... the secrets she held, her father's secrets, were grave bound.
 

EXCERPT:


"happily ever after my ass!" Emily said, slamming her book closed. She looked around and realized everyone who'd accompanied her to the lake for the first swim of the summer had long since gone home. Emily's friends had learned years ago her love of books came before everything. Once started, she would keep reading until finished. Nothing short of a burning house could distract her.

For the millionth time, Emily wished she could be more like everyone else in the commune... wished she could conform... wished she didn't resent with every fiber in her being the fate in store for her. It was the destiny of every woman in her community on their twenty-first birthday.



4 comments:

  1. Looks good. Impressed with anyone disciplined enough to do NaNoWriMo. After your launch, I'd love to hear how your jump out of YA worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I say I love that cover! Ooh and this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bryna & LM! I'm really excited about writing this... even thought I know it will be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love that cover! It's awesome. And I love the summary... it sounds totally awesome! I SO have to read it :)
    Good luck with NaNoWriMo!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete