Friday, June 14, 2013

Indie Author Series: Pricing (How To Decide)

This week, the YA Author Club is exploring the eBook pricing methodology. This is a very contentious and highly debated topic... one that either drives a book and its author to success or prevents it from selling anything more than the bare minimum. 
Let's start off with FREE. Free is good. Right? As a consumer and book lover I love to get a free book. Especially if the book is one I want to read. As an author and bookseller, a free book is a good way to market my story and gain reviews. 
It's important to mention that offering a book for free exposes your story to people who would not normally read it. These readers have a nothing ventured-nothing gained mentality. While it can work out well in most situations, there will be the random few readers who will read the book and dislike it because it's not their preferred genre.  Because of that, I'd recommend that all indie authors to proceed with caution.
Beyond free, there's as many options as you can imagine. $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, $3.99, $4.99, etc. The most popular methodology I've seen from my fellow authors and me are the one where the newest book of a genre/series is priced at $0.99 while the follow-up books are price incrementally $2.99, $3.99, and $4.99.  It has been quite successful for my books and me; therefore, it is one I plan to continue using... until further notice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for writing this post. As an indie author myself, I really appreciate tips like this.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete