Saturday, October 19, 2013

Indie Author Series: Reviews

YA (and more) Author Club sponsors are talking all about ways to get reviews and what authors should do with them once they have them. As an author... as a marketer of my books, I'm always searching for a great way to get people to read, rate, and review my books.

For me, there are three ways to get reviews:
  • Blog Tours
  • Goodreads Giveaway
  • Rafflecopter Giveaway


 Theoretically, the Blog Tour and the Rafflecopter giveaway go hand-in-hand, but they are separate and distinct so I've listed them separately.

There are many great Blog Tour companies, and all of them appear to be sponsored by passionate readers. Having gone through three of them, I've decided Itching for Books gets my vote. When I released Left (Still Standing, #1), I'd made a conscious decision not to do a blog tour because it hampered my ability to write the book and release it at my convenience (since the other tour companies wanted me to sign-up 6 months in advance). Shane Morgan with Itching for Books contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in letting her do the tour. Something about the timing, her initiative, and her professionalism told me to go for it.

Instantly, Shane began working on my behalf, and within days, she had 30-40 people signed up. After the tour started, she supported both the bloggers and the author by tweeting about the posts. While I appreciate everything Shane did, the proof of her success is the reason I will use Itching for Books for every release from this point forward. Below, I've summarized the impressive impact Shane's hard work and the wonderful bloggers she works with had on my stats. I saw a:
  • 16% increase in Goodreads follows/fans,
  • 10% increase in Facebook Fan Page likes,
  • 7% increase in Twitter followers, and
  • over 70 reviews received from the bloggers and/or their followers
Even more important than the improved statistics was the kindness the bloggers showed to me as an author and human being. It's as if Shane has aligned herself with some of the best-of-the-best, and for that, I'm grateful.

As for what I'll do with those reviews...

My first action was to let almost every person reading and rating Left (Still Standing, #1) as well as anyone sponsoring the tour now how much I appreciated their support. Now, I'll compile some of the most unique, entertaining, and passionate ones and quote them on Amazon.

Take some time to visit the other sponsors' sites and see what they are talking about this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment